Starting at Home
For some types of businesses, the best option is to run your start-up from home. However, there are a number of factors to consider before doing so.
Apart from issues of isolation and disturbing your work/life balance, working from home has other practical consequences. It could affect your home insurance, mortgage and tax situation and you may also be required to obtain specific permissions and licenses.
It’s a good idea to check with some of the agencies listed below before setting up at home:
- The Environmental Health team within Ards and North Down Borough Council or the Health & Safety Executive NI.
- The Planning team within Ards and North Down Borough Council to check if planning permission is needed.
- A solicitor to check legal aspects.
- Your mortgage lender or landlord.
- Insurance provider.
- Land and Property Services to see if business rates will apply.
- HM Revenue & Customs and an accountant to understand you income and tax position.
Visit NI Business Info for a comprehensive guide on setting up at home. Alternatively email Sharyn McMaster, Assistant Economic Development Offer or call 028 9147 3788 (ext 40960).